Well, I don't know if I'm qualified to give these but since I want to join in Mam Carolyn's #ceesadvicechallenge and share some advice that I follow, so here it is:
(This is long )
1. This one is old but gold. Write for yourself. You should be your own number one fan. You'll never be satisfied with just others praises, until you make yourself happy with your own work. Only then, you'll not be bothered by the number of likes or reposts in your posts. Those will be just bonus in writing. Seek validation from yourself first.
2. Here in mirakee, I have a set of writers whom I look up to. I try to get their attention by improving my write ups (but of course without forgetting #1 and without tagging them). A repost from them is as big as POD itself for me. They don't know who they are so those are genuine reposts.
3. I learn faster when I am corrected. I actually have trusted grammar critics here. They message me whenever there is something wrong about my posts. I also have some of my posts checked by them. (hi @ashik_k_a ) Would you believe, that before (around first 300 posts), I had at least 2-3 mistakes in every post. (I hope I have flawless posts now .)
4. Don't sprinkle your work with nosebleeding words. I actually promote some heavy words be mixed with simple ones but just don't do it in every line, every sentence or every phrase. 'Cause seriously, who wants to read with dictionary beside always. There is also this way of writing where you introduce the meaning of the unusual word within its sentence. And I learned a lot of difficult words this way, while reading good novels and poems. Try that style if you want to enrich the vocabulary of your readers.
5. Show don't tell. Tell: She is sad. ❌ Show: Warm water trickled down her cheeks, seeking refuge in the edge of her lips.✔️ Incorporate the sense of taste, smell, hear and touch too.
6. Make sure to write the idea as soon as it strike you. Or say goodbye from it. Write even words or phrase that you think are worth playing in your next write up.
7. Catch the reader's attention in the first line. Don't wait for 2nd or 3rd line. Not everyone is as patient as you. However, make sure you sustain the beauty of your work all throughout.
8. Read. Read. Read. (I'm trying too)
9. Don't force yourself to write (or even read.) Words call you when they need you and vice versa.
10. Write even if it's lame.
11. Quit writing if you are just planning to plagiarize others work. Writing is not for you. Seriously, how can someone take credits from others ideas
12. Ask permission first before tagging anyone.
13. There is no wrong in copying someone's writing style ( I said style not the words). Everyone learns from their favorite writers. But don't be contented of being just their shadow forever. Create a writing style that screams you
14. Fewer words, better. (for me)
15. Don't create an army of lazy readers. Don't spoonfeed them everything. Let your words make them think.
16. Let's start giving credits to owners of background pictures we use. They are also artists, like us, that deserve credit.
17. Don't follow this list or anyone's list if it doesn't suit you. We have our own ways to do things and it's not bad.
So hope this could help
(I'll update this post whenever I think of new ones to add)
Two days ago, I was asked to give a speech on my self. My failures, my struggles, my achievements and everything that makes me who I am. In my speech, I told the audience how mirakee has changed my life and how this app has shaped me into a better human. Towards the end of the speech, I told the audience how I wanted to write a letter to my past self telling her stuff that I wish she knew then. And that is when I read this letter. I tore the page immediately after the speech because I knew that I will never be able to post it. That Is when a friend introduced me to the concept of time capsules and asked me to preserve this letter, probably for the years to come. So here I am, sharing it with you guys, my family, because there ain't no place better than mirakee to save a write. :')
Thank you, everyone, for giving me a direction in life. Had it not been for this app, I would not have been half the person I am today. Mirakee is a blessing. ❤
My greatest fear has always been losing you. I faced that fear. I lost what I had never deserved. Came with the grief, was a new fear. The fear of running into you someday. Where you are not alone; I can see yourself with your man- The man of your dreams. And he is going to be so handsome, Wealthy beyond my wildest dreams. He doesn't have my receding hairline or tanlines of any sort. He'll have well toned body. Deep manly voice. As his hobby, he is either lead guitarist or quarterback. He is everything I am not. Better than me in everyway. My biggest fear is you seeing me and thanking the Gods for having made the right decision of leaving me. The manifestation of all my insecurities. I dread my nightmare coming true in an airport or when I ride past your city. 4 years passed, and I still held onto that fear. Untill recently, rationality swept to my mind And I feel maturity not just in my greying hair. And then I realized That someday that moment may come When I will run into her. But it wouldn't be like anything I feared And it will have nothing to do with her man. Cause even if it's the other way around That I turn out to be better than him. It would still break my heart. Even if I am richer than him, Smarter than him, Better looking than him, He will always have one thing I don't. You! So here I am Accepting my fate. That when I see you, You will break my heart And I'm never going to be ready for it. So I stop preparing myself, Im letting my guard down. Cause I see the futility in wearing an armour on top of bleeding wounds.
I fall for the spark In your eyes when you talk about your passion I fall for the freshness On your face when you dance I fall for the excitement Of all our first times I fall for the depth Behind your eyes that you can't hide I fall for the flutter Of my heart on hearing your name I fall for the little blush That creeps up your neck when I'm with you I fall for the serenity You seem to summon I fall for the spring In your step when you're happy I fall for the smile That never fails to bring upon mine
And I never want that to fade I want to see you at the top of the world Because you deserve it so much And I just wanna be there By your side, holding your hand
You see I love you Not for who you are But for what you are
It's that simple You're adorable And I adore you
I want to be with you
Because I connect Because we connect Because we're two souls Finding each other Because we're two minds Admiring each other Because we're two hearts Longing for each other
Not because We're two girls Living in this close minded world